Monday, July 30, 2012

My Education in Homeschooling

I came across this article this morning and fell in love with it. It's the best article on homeschooling I've ever read.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443343704577549472535089552.html

My favorite part:

"But the biggest thing people want to talk about is socialization. Everyone is worried that I keep my child in a crate with three air holes punched in it and won't let her have friends until she gets her AARP card. There's a long answer, of course, but I'll sum it up this way: Homo sapiens have walked the Earth for at least 130,000 years and, in this time, they learned to be human from their elders, not from their peers. Mandatory education in the U.S. is less than 150 years old. Learning to be a productive adult human by spending a third of every day with other kids might be a good idea, but it's too soon to tell. I'm still unsure that the people best equipped to teach a 14-year-old boy how to be a man are other 14-year-old boys." 

That last sentence really got me.
Of course I want my daughter to have fun and meet friends, and enjoy being a child with her peers. But why does that have to include her education? I'd much rather my child be able to learn one-on-one from an adult who has the knowledge, life experience, and patience to take the time to help her if she gets confused or has a hard time, without twenty five other kids in the room causing distractions....at least until she's a teenager. I'm still not sure I want her to miss out on the junior high ice cream socials or high school dances. But I do think I might be able to provide a different, more beneficial learning environment for my little girl while she is just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment