Thursday, July 5, 2012

Marinade Mania

I don't know about you, but during the summer 5 out of 7 of our dinner meals are prepared outside on the grill. My husband loves to grill, and it gives me time to concoct the sides. Before I became the label-reading nut that I am, I used powder marinades or the Lawry's brand of bottled marinades. After dicovering most of them contain high frutose corn syrup, msg, artificial flavorings, and a plethora of preservatives, I've been making my own. It's sooo much cheaper, and I usually have all the ingredients in my fridge and on my spice rack. A few of my favorites:



Steak Marinade

1T. dijon mustard
1/4c. balsamic vinegar
1/4c. Lea & Perrin's worchestershire sauce
1/4c. Kikkoman soy sauce
2 crushed garlic cloves
*1/4c. Extra virgin olive oil-This will be brushed on your steak right before grilling,
as to keep meat as tender as possible
 (the acid in the vinegar & sauces will tenderize the raw meat, but oil can toughen it).

Combine all ingredients in a glass container or plastic gallon bag, add your meat and marinade at least an hour.

Asian Marinade
Delicious on pork, beef, chicken, or seafood--


1/2c. Kikkoman soy sauce
1/2c. Rice vinegar
1/4c. chopped scallions
1T. seseme seeds
1/2t. grated fresh ginger
I crushed garlic clove
1T. seseme oil
1T. Sriracha hot pepper sauce
Combine all ingredients in glass bowl or plastic gallon bag, add meat and marinate at least an hour.

Seafood Marinade
I recommend this for tilapia or salmon--

1T. Extra virgin olive oil
Lime juice from 2 ripe limes
1 crushed garlic clove
2T. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2t. sea salt
1/4t. sugar
1.4t. cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in glass bowl or plastic gallon bag, add fish and marinate at least an hour.

Lemon Pepper Marinade
Great on chicken or fish--

Juice from 2 ripe lemons
1/2c. extra virgin olive oil
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2t. sea salt
1/2t. onion powder
Generous amount of fresh ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in glass bowl or plastic gallon bag, add meat and marinate at least an hour.


Bon Appetit!








No comments:

Post a Comment